Saturday, December 28, 2019

This stout is "liquid dessert"; a fun Sangria cider

As much as I enjoy indulging my sweet tooth on fruity and funky sours, goses, and Berliner weisses during the warmer months, I always look forward to the dark roasty tones of brown ales, stouts, and porters to get me through the cold drab of winter.

This past week, during my normal craft beer run to my favorite bottle shop, The Wink, I took home two imperial stouts from Commonwealth Brewing, both from the same series: Marvoloso 2019: V05 (rated and reviewed in my last post) and Marvoloso 2019: V06, which boasts Ghiradelli chocolate, maple syrup, praline, and toasted coconut; 12.6% ABV. It boasts the same smoothness and thickness of your typical stout, with very pronounced chocolate notes, and subtle maple and coconut in the background. The maple does boost the sweetness of this one a little bit beyond your usual stout, so be forewarned if you're not into overly sweet beers. That being said, the flavor was outstanding, as I've come to expect from Commonwealth. Perfect way to end a hearty holiday meal! I gave it 4.5 stars on Untappd.


My second pick-up this week was a new cider from Coyote Hole Cidery near Mineral, VA called "Sister Sangria." Coyote Hole Cider Works describes it as a blend of green apple hard cider, cranberry, blackberry, cabernet franc, and tangerines and you definitely pick up on the wine flavor both in the aroma and in the cider itself. It's definitely a sweeter cider and a bit more carbonated; a comparable cider would be Rekkorderlig. I thoroughly enjoyed it as I will admit to having a bit of a sweet tooth. 5.6% ABV.

More reviews next week! Oh, and you can follow and friend me on Untappd!

No comments:

Post a Comment